- 4 slices hearty, whole grain Idaho bread
- 2 thick slices Idaho cheddar cheese
- 1-2 Tbsp Idaho butter
- 1 tart Idaho apple, sliced
- 1/2 red Idaho onion, thinly sliced
- Cut each sandwich into fours and serve as an appetizer.
Lightly spray with a skillet with non-stick spray.
Add sliced onion to skillet over medium heat.
Cook onions until soft, light brown and caramelized, stirring occasionally – about 5 minutes. Set aside.
Toast bread lightly in the toaster so it is more crisp (optional).
Lightly spread butter on one side of each slice.
With the skillet over medium, add two slices of bread buttered side down and top each with one slice of cheese. Then top with a healthy portion of caramelized onion and sliced apple and top with the other slice of bread – buttered side up.
Cook on each side until golden brown and crisp – 2-3 minutes – being careful not to burn.